Will you be pursuing a part-time job while enrolled at App? Immediate employment is a great way to gain valuable work experience, acquire transferable skill sets, and build your resume. There's plenty of opportunities available on-campus and in the Boone community. Be sure to explore Handshake to connect with the employers or attend one of our upcoming Part-Time Jobs Fairs.
How to go About Getting a Job:
The following are resources you can utilize to help you find a job. You may also consider networking with your faculty and staff, as many of them employ student assistants through available grants and these positions are oftentimes not advertised.
Connect with local businesses and on-campus employers on Handshake. Explore their part-time or temporary positions and apply to the ones that interest you. Check back often as postings are added daily.
Largest Campus Employers
Take a look at our largest on-campus employers. Visit their websites to learn more about each department and to see if they are currently hiring. Students are invited to apply for multiple departments.
Odd Jobs Google Group
Join our Odd Jobs Google Group and receive information on local job opportunities including yard work, moving help, and child care positions. Contact the employer directly for these jobs. Be sure to act quickly, as these jobs don't last long!
Federal Work Study
Gain experience while financing your education through the Federal Work Study program. These positions are available to students who exhibit financial need and have a FAFSA application on file with the Office of Financial Aid.
The Benefits of Working While in School:
- Become more skilled in time management: obtaining a part-time job will help provide structure to your routine and help you prioritize obligations, better preparing you for life after college.
- Explore entry level positions in your area: many academic departments hire students as Research and Instructional Assistants, Field or Lab Technicians.
- Increased career readiness skills and experiences upon graduation. This makes you more marketable for future employers. Nearly 91% of employers "prefer that candidates have work experience."
- Offset the cost of your schooling. Working a part-time job may allow you to reduce loans required for day-to-day expenses therefore reducing your total debt upon graduation.
- Learn valuable skills that are transferable across all career fields. Even work experience that is not directly related to your field may qualify you for a position that someone without your experience could not get.
- Excel in the classroom: Researches for the Bureau of Labor Statistics found that students who worked less than 20 hours per week had an average GPA of 3.13, while nonworking students had an average GPA of 3.04.
- Connect with Faculty and Staff: our university is made up of a workforce that cares about you! These professionals can refer you to resources, help find what you need on-campus and get you connected with those that can assist in your academic success.
For more information, contact us at email@example.com or call 828-262-4099. Our team would be glad to help!