Resources for Underrepresented Students and Identity Groups
Our work and mission is to encourage students to explore career paths, identify and develop skills, and pursue experiential opportunities. We believe each member of the Appalachian State community should be empowered to achieve lifelong professional success. We also recognize and celebrate that each student is unique and that culture and experiences play an important role in shaping you, how you interact with the world, and what you want for your future. The Career Development Center team is committed to creating an environment where you will feel supported and confident to pursue your own personal journey to success.
We support students in all aspects of career development — from exploration to gaining experience and building your network, and finally to applying those building blocks to designing a career strategy unique to you. Our team has assembled a list of resources and links to organizations that can assist you as you consider your career and professional path as it relates to your diverse identities.
We welcome the opportunity to meet with you individually and get to know you. As you probably know, each college has a Career Coach for a liaison. In addition, our Career Coaches also serve as liaisons to other offices and student organizations on campus. They are listed below. If you are the leader of a student organization or club, you may request a presentation from the liaison for your group.
- Michelle Brown - Student Support Services, ACCESS, Transfer Services, Alumni Affairs, Disability Resources, SDAP, As-U-R, Admissions
- Geralyn Mitchell - Leadership/McCaskey Center, Veterans, Greek Life
- Jennifer Perry - Athletics, UREC/Wellness and Prevention, Graduate School
- Laura Pell - ACT, OIED, Intercultural Student Affairs (Women's Center, Henderson Springs LGBTQ Center, and Multicultural Center)
Being in a work environment where your values and beliefs are compatible with those of your employer generally leads to success for both the employer and the employee. My Fit My Future is a bi-weekly newsletter designed to help you identify and articulate YOUR core values and beliefs and to learn about organizations whose workplace culture is supportive of YOU.
My Fit My Future provides information about the following:
- Highlight organizations that are congruent in stated DEI values and actions
- Employers who actively recruit candidates from diverse backgrounds for their positions
- Internships or jobs where applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply
- Work opportunities where DEI (Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity) are core job responsibilities
- Employer information sessions including workshops about employer ERGs (employee resource group) - groups of employees who join together in their workplace based on shared characteristics or life experiences
- Networking or mentoring opportunities
To receive My Fit My Future, complete this Google form and you will be added to the Handshake distribution list.