Student Work Hours
Scheduling for all Student Employees (including Federal Work Study)
- Work schedules should be determined by the needs of the department and the student's class schedule.
- Students are not permitted to work during a scheduled class or exam.
- The workweek begins at midnight on Sunday and ends at midnight on Saturday.
- It is recommended that students not exceed 20 hours per week when classes are in session. Research shows more than 20 hours per week of work begins to impede on students' academic success.
- Student employees should confer with their supervisors during inclement weather policy implementation.
- During Suspended Operations (condition 2) student employees are not required to report to work.
Overtime & Holidays (Non-Work Study Student Employees Only)
- Combined hours from each of the student's jobs will be added together and payroll will pay overtime if the 40-hour limit is exceeded in a workweek.
- Student Employees who are asked to work on holidays will be paid holiday time.
Students in Federal Work Study positions
- Students typically work 10-12 hours per week. For time and pay information, click here.
- Students may work up to 40 hours per week on campus during break provided Federal Work Study funds are available.
- Departments should monitor students monthly earnings to ensure that they do not exceed their total work study award.
- Federal Work Study students are not permitted to work on university recognized holidays.
- Students are to be paid an hourly rate at or above the federal minimum wage requirement.
- We strongly recommend that you keep up with students' entered time to ensure hours are accurately reported on a daily basis.
- You should keep employment records (authorization forms and employee hours reported) in your office for at least two years.