Student Work Hours
Scheduling for all Student Employees (including Federal Work Study)
- Work schedules should be determined by the needs of the department and the student's class schedule.
- Students are not permitted to work during a scheduled class or exam.
- The workweek begins at midnight on Sunday and ends at midnight on Saturday.
- It is recommended that students not exceed 20 hours per week when classes are in session. Research shows more than 20 hours per week of work begins to impede on students' academic success.
- Student employees should confer with their supervisors during inclement weather policy implementation.
Overtime & Holidays (Non-Work Study Student Employees Only)
- Combined hours from each of the student's jobs will be added together and payroll will pay overtime if the 40-hour limit is exceeded in a workweek.
- Student Employees who are asked to work on holidays will be paid holiday time.
Students in Federal Work Study positions
- Students typically work 10-12 hours per week. For time and pay information, click here.
- Students may work up to 40 hours per week on campus during break provided Federal Work Study funds are available.
- Departments should monitor students monthly earnings to ensure that they do not exceed their total work study award.
- Federal Work Study students are not permitted to work on university recognized holidays.
- Students are to be paid an hourly rate at or above the federal minimum wage requirement.
- We strongly recommend that you keep up with students' entered time to ensure hours are accurately reported on a daily basis.
- You should keep employment records (authorization forms and employee hours reported) in your office for at least two years.
Guidance Surrounding Students Working During Adverse Weather and Emergency Closings
Under adverse weather events or emergency situations when reduced or suspended campus operations are in effect and it is deemed that campus is not safe to operate under normal conditions the following guidance will be given regarding student employees. In an effort to keep campus clear of hazards, free of traffic for safety purposes and to efficiently bring campus back to normal operating conditions student employees can be permitted to physical work locations under the following conditions:
Condition 1 (Reduced Operations): Student employees who are working in an area or a department that will remain operational during condition 1 may report to physical work locations if they feel they can safely do so. Student employees must remain under the supervision of non-mandatory or mandatory employees while completing work performed. Student employees cannot be required to report to physical work locations and student employees cannot be penalized for not reporting to physical work locations by their supervisor, area or department if the student expresses they do not feel safe doing so. Student employees should confer with their supervisors regarding their absence during these conditions.
Condition 2 (Suspended Operations): Student employees working in areas or departments deemed non-mandatory operations (by policy section 4.1.1) cannot report to physical work locations. Student employees working in areas or departments deemed operationally mandatory (by policy section 4.1.1) may report to physical work locations if they feel they can safely do so under the following conditions:
- Student employees working in areas or departments deemed operationally mandatory must remain under the supervision of mandatory employee(s) while completing work performed. The decision for student employees to report to physical work locations within operationally mandatory areas or departments will need to be discussed individually with one’s supervisor under these conditions.
- Student employees working in areas or departments deemed operationally mandatory cannot be penalized for not reporting to physical work locations.
- Student employees should confer with their supervisors regarding their absence during these conditions
Condition 3 (Closure): Student employees are not permitted to report to physical work locations during condition 3 operations in any non-mandatory or mandatory areas or departments.