The university remains open, with emergency management protocols activated and operational modifications and precautions in place. Read the latest updates.
Lead Your Way: Diversity Networking and Career Conference
Date: February 17, 2021
Time: 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Location: Virtual Conference via Handshake
Join us for the inaugural Lead Your Way: Diversity Networking and Career Conference as we foster rich discussion on diversity equity and inclusion topics while promoting diverse talent for internships and full-time employment.
This event is being offered as a collaboration between the Career Centers at Appalachian State University, NC Central University, UNC Chapel Hill, and UNC Greensboro.
The event will feature break-out panels on topics related to diversity in the workplace featuring employers from organizations who have committed their resources to promoting diversity. You can attend one, two, or all three panels. You do NOT have to participate the entire time. When you register in Handshake, you will be able to select the panel(s) that most interest you and fits with your schedule. There will also be a networking after party for participants to interact with each other.
ALL students are encouraged to attend! Register in Handshake to participate. Once we receive your registration, you will receive the Zoom link to participate in this event.
This event will utilize Zoom breakout rooms. In order to be able to choose your breakout room, please make sure ahead of time that you have the latest version of Zoom.
We are fortunate to have top employers participating in this event. They include:
- Facebook: Shauna Kimball, firstname.lastname@example.org
- McKinney: Sue Roche, email@example.com
- Blue Cross Blue Shield: Allison Watkins, Allison.Watkins@bcbsnc.com
- Rocket Mortgage (Quicken Loans): Dj Bridges, DjBridges@rockcentraldetroit.com
- JP Morgan: Katlyn Graci, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dell: Shea Warren, Shea.Warren@dell.com
- Enterprise: Kaniche Bennett, Kaniche.F.Bennett@ehi.com
- SAS: Danielle Pavliv, Danielle.Pavliv@sas.com
- PRA Health Sciences: Francisca Burtenshaw, BurtenshawFrancisca@prahs.com
- E&J Gallo: Derek Epps, email@example.com
- Handshake: Christine Cruzvergara, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Goldman Sachs: Mariany Polanco, Mariany.Polanco@gs.com
- Bank of America: Sandra Quince, email@example.com
- Merck: Monica Gidwani, firstname.lastname@example.org
|3:00 - 3:05 pm||Welcome|
|3:05 - 4:05 pm||Panel 1 - Authenticity in the Workplace
Employers: Facebook, McKinney, BCBS, Rocket Mortgage (Quicken Loans), JP Morgan
Bring your whole self to work, can I be myself at work (ie. gender, sexual identify, religion), ways that students can show up to work without negotiating who they are, how do you as a student/candidate identify your core values to make sure you find an organization that shares those values
|4:05 - 5:05 pm||Panel 2 - Managing Difference in the Workplace
Employers: Dell, Enterprise, SAS, PRA Health Sciences, E&J Gallo
Addressing micro-aggressions and toxic workplace, training initiatives on inclusivity/bias, creating supportive safe work space
|5:05 - 6:05 pm||Panel 3 - Recruiting, Hiring, and Retaining Diverse Talent
Employers: Handshake, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, Merck
Ways that recruiters and hiring managers mitigate bias in recruiting and hiring of students from underrepresented groups; the resources companies make available to support the retention and advancement of those groups such as employee resource groups (ERGs), mentoring programs, and leadership development programs; the management and leadership demographics disaggregated by race/gender and the goals to improve identified disproportionate representation
|6:05 - 6:10 pm||Final Remarks|
|6:10 - 6:55 pm||After-Party Networking Event
Connect with the company recruiters to discuss job opportunities and more!