Students & Alumni
THE FOUR YEAR CAREER PLAN
- WORK one-on-one with a Career Counselor in the Career Exploration Office to help you identify interests, abilities and values.
- MEET regularly with your academic advisor.
- COMPLETE a self assessment inventory in the Career Exploration Office that will provide majors and careers that fit your interests, skills, values and personality.
- SPEAK with departments across campus about academic majors, minors, and concentrations.
- DISCOVER major and career information resources at the Career Exploration Office.
- EXPLORE related career titles for AppState majors
- RESEARCH careers via O*Net Online.
- UTILIZE Career Gear to identify local part time jobs.
- CONTINUE to meet regularly with your general academic advisor if you are undeclared. If you declare a major, meet with your new departmental advisor.
- VISIT the Career Explorationand take additional self assessments and explore majors and careers if you are undeclared.
- JOIN a club and/or organization related to your major and interests.
- UTILIZE volunteer.appstate.edu to identify local volunteer opportunities that are related to your major and interests.
- UTILIZE careergear.appstate.edu to research internships.
- DEVELOP your collegiate resume.
- EXPLORE the internships website, internships.appstate.edu
- ATTEND the Internship Fair and Leadership and Involvement Fair in January.
- COMPLETE an informational interview and/or job shadow with 2 individuals.
- SCHEDULE an appointment with your career counselor via careergear.appstate.edu to discuss internship opportunities within your major.
- UTILIZE internships.appstate.edu for resources in finding and applying for internships
- UPDATE your resume to apply for internships.
- EXPLORE research opportunities, osr.appstate.edu
- TAKE on leadership roles within clubs and organizations.
- JOIN a regional or national professional organization in your field of study, quintcareers.com/professional_organizations.
- ATTEND workshops, events and career fairs to seek information on internships.
- ATTEND the Graduate and Professional Schools fair if applying for graduate school.
- ATTEND the Internship Fair.
- COMPLETE a practice interview through Interview Stream, an online practice interviewing software.
- KEEP a journal of your internship experience so you can easily update your resume.
- SCHEDULE an appointment with your career counselor via careergear.appstate.edu to review your resume and discuss your career plans.
- ATTEND an AppState, regional or national professional organization workshop and/or conference within your major.
- UTILIZE careergear.appstate.edu to sign up for on campus interviews and search for jobs.
- RESEARCH company and organization information for your field via Career Gear.
- UPDATE resume to include internship, volunteer, leadership, involvement, part time work and professional organizations.
- ATTEND Career Development Center information sessions, workshops and career fairs.
- MAKE a list of references/professional contacts you have made through internships, volunteering, professional organizations, or part time jobs.
- RESEARCH and conduct site visits to graduate programs.
- TAKE graduate school admissions test (if applicable).
- APPLY to graduate school (if applicable).
Make a Career Counseling AppointmentGet help with your resume, interview skills, job search & more. Current Students | Alumni
Drop InsDrop in for a career conversation with a member of our career counseling staff Monday - Friday from 2:00 - 4:00 in room 369, John E. Thomas Hall (JET).
Search for job and internship opportunities and consider some job search tactics.
Use our resume resources to build your resume today.
Have a quick question about jobs or internships? Check out Career Spots for the answer!
We can speak on a variety
of topics including resumes,
job searching, networking,
interviewing and more.
Practice Interviewing Online Anytime
Rm. 369, John Thomas Hall
287 River Street
Boone, NC 28607
Phone: (828) 262-2180