Students & Alumni
THE FOUR YEAR CAREER PLAN
- WORK one-on-one with a Career Counselor in the Career Exploration Office to help you identify interests, abilities and values.
- MEET regularly with your academic advisor.
- COMPLETE a self assessment inventory in the Career Exploration Office that will provide majors and careers that fit your interests, skills, values and personality.
- SPEAK with departments across campus about academic majors, minors, and concentrations.
- DISCOVER major and career information resources at the Career Exploration Office.
- EXPLORE related career titles for AppState majors
- RESEARCH careers via O*Net Online.
- UTILIZE Career Gear to identify local part time jobs.
- CONTINUE to meet regularly with your general academic advisor if you are undeclared. If you declare a major, meet with your new departmental advisor.
- VISIT the Career Explorationand take additional self assessments and explore majors and careers if you are undeclared.
- JOIN a club and/or organization related to your major and interests.
- UTILIZE volunteer.appstate.edu to identify local volunteer opportunities that are related to your major and interests.
- UTILIZE careergear.appstate.edu to research internships.
- DEVELOP your collegiate resume.
- EXPLORE the internships website, internships.appstate.edu
- ATTEND the Internship Fair and Leadership and Involvement Fair in January.
- COMPLETE an informational interview and/or job shadow with 2 individuals.
- SCHEDULE an appointment with your career counselor via careergear.appstate.edu to discuss internship opportunities within your major.
- UTILIZE internships.appstate.edu for resources in finding and applying for internships
- UPDATE your resume to apply for internships.
- EXPLORE research opportunities, osr.appstate.edu
- TAKE on leadership roles within clubs and organizations.
- JOIN a regional or national professional organization in your field of study, quintcareers.com/professional_organizations.
- ATTEND workshops, events and career fairs to seek information on internships.
- ATTEND the Graduate and Professional Schools fair if applying for graduate school.
- ATTEND the Internship Fair.
- COMPLETE a practice interview through Interview Stream, an online practice interviewing software.
- KEEP a journal of your internship experience so you can easily update your resume.
- SCHEDULE an appointment with your career counselor via careergear.appstate.edu to review your resume and discuss your career plans.
- ATTEND an AppState, regional or national professional organization workshop and/or conference within your major.
- UTILIZE careergear.appstate.edu to sign up for on campus interviews and search for jobs.
- RESEARCH company and organization information for your field via Career Gear.
- UPDATE resume to include internship, volunteer, leadership, involvement, part time work and professional organizations.
- ATTEND Career Development Center information sessions, workshops and career fairs.
- MAKE a list of references/professional contacts you have made through internships, volunteering, professional organizations, or part time jobs.
- RESEARCH and conduct site visits to graduate programs.
- TAKE graduate school admissions test (if applicable).
- APPLY to graduate school (if applicable).
Make a Career Counseling AppointmentGet help with your resume, interview skills, job search & more. Current Students | Alumni
Drop InsDrop in for a career conversation with a member of our career counseling staff Monday - Friday from 2:00 - 4:00 in room 369, John E. Thomas Hall (JET).
Search for job and internship opportunities and consider some job search tactics.
Use our resume resources to build your resume today.
Have a quick question about jobs or internships? Check out Career Spots for the answer!
Room 387 Reservations
We can speak on a variety
of topics including resumes,
job searching, networking,
interviewing and more. We can present to classes, clubs, you name it!
Rm. 369, John Thomas Hall
287 River Street
Boone, NC 28607
Phone: (828) 262-2180