Graduate School Interviews
The interview can be the deciding factor when admissions committees choose who to accept.
- Interviewers want to see if you have the characteristics to succeed in graduate school, such as maturity, interpersonal skills, self-determination, sincere interest and motivation.
- Evaluate if the program is a fit for you. Familiarize yourself with the campus and its facilities, and obtain first-hand answers to questions about the program.
Treat your graduate school interview professionally and be prepared.
- Understand the training emphasis of the program and faculty research interests. Read up on research performed by faculty members with whom you may be interested in working.
- Review your own interests, goals, and qualifications and be prepared to talk about them in detail.
- Anticipate questions about weaknesses in your application (grades, tests scores, background check). Formulate responses to questions about your weaknesses with how you have addressed them and what you have learned. Do not make excuses.
- Answer: What you can contribute to their graduate program and research? Why should they accept you? What sets you apart from other applicants?
- Prepare questions to ask the interviewer.
Formats will vary: one-on-one, panel, telephone or multiple interviews with any combination of formats can be expected. Some interviews may be full weekend events with faculty, current students and other applicants. Remember to follow up with a thank you note.
Make an appointment to meet with your career counselor to discuss interview content. Then practice with Interview Stream or with one of our Graduate Assistants.
Interested in becoming a Appalachian Career Ambassador? Download the application below to be a part of this career-building opportunity
March 22, 2017
11:00 am - 2:00pm
March 27, 2017
12:30pm - 3:00pm
Holmes Convocation Center
We can speak on a variety
of topics including resumes,
job searching, networking,
interviewing and more.
Practice Interviewing Online Anytime
Rm. 369, John Thomas Hall
287 River Street
Boone, NC 28607
Phone: (828) 262-2180